From the Asha convention to the ER in San Diego

Attending the Asha convention, being able to meet the awesome SLPs who read my blog, presenting on the topics I love and sharing the apps I have developed with others is the experience I look forward to ALL year. As always, my life is an adventure and this time is no different!  I wanted to write this blog post for two reasons:

    1. To get it off of my chest
    2. To thank everyone for their amazing support

Hard to decide how to start, but I had to write before being able to do anything or decide anything. I have been having a blast at the convention, until 2:00pm when I reached for my wallet on the floor and that was the start of an adventure that led me to the ER(what else can I call it?). My left leg was in severe pain, and since 2 pm I have not been able to move it without feeling a severe sharp pain. Between 2:00 pm and 5 pm, I stayed at the Smarty Ears booth hoping “ I will feel better in just a minute”.

Since 4:00 pm, I started worrying “ will I feel better enough in 30 minutes to attend the Tweet up?”. The time came and instead I had to start worrying about “how am I gonna get to my hotel when this is over?”  I CANNOT WALK!

My new friend Jerry Butana @jgb9530 , went to search for a wheelchair and instead here comes first aid care. Now, here I am rolling around the convention center on a wheelchair to the first aid room. In there, they decide I need an ambulance to be taken to the ER since I could not move my leg… some speculate I dislocated my leg, some speculate I strained it, and so on. I am now just starting to panic over: “ how am I going to present tomorrow?”.The ambulance arrives and after 20 minutes we arrive at the ER. Now is the moment when I say, “ what am I doing here?”. Lots of people waiting, and then I hear someone saying “ I have been here since 2:00pm”, and someone else say “ I have been waiting to be seen for the last 6 hours!”. Wow!  At that moment, I did not know if I panicked or if I felt sorry for those people. But one thing for sure I thought, “what kind of pathetic healthcare system is this!?” In the mean time, ( when I thought “ I will be ok soon”), I twitted about my status and oh boy! Did I just love my  #slpeeps even more? Yes! What a great energy I received. Did I cry reading all the tweets? Yes! I did. Can I ever thank you #slpeeps enough? No. (see below)

After hearing “ we have been here for 6 hours” I started rationalizing “ ok, I need to finish up my presentations, and I need to rest for tomorrow”. But how am I gonna walk? I called my hotel, and asked if they had a wheelchair; as soon as they said yes I decided it was time to call a cab and get out of the ER. I know, crazy huh?

I arrived at the hotel, got a wheelchair and here I am, sharing my #asha11 day 2 with you guys before I can even focus on anything else.

I am not sure what exactly I will do to appear at my presentations tomorrow, but after hearing how so many people came and are staying until Saturday  “just because of my presentation”, I HAVE TO BE THERE. Even if it means I will be renting a wheelchair tomorrow. Now, if you are attending the Asha convention and reading this before my presentation, come show your support by attending it. 😉

Now, how I will pack, close down my booth, or get to the airport is something I will have to think about… but only tomorrow when I am hoping I will wake up and miraculously my leg will be better.  Is there an app for that?





One thought on “From the Asha convention to the ER in San Diego

  • November 19, 2011 at 7:25 am

    Oh my goodness Barbara! Good luck today!!! Or should I say, “Break a leg”?!?! Seriously though, best of luck! I know you’ll knock them off their feet too!

Leave a Reply